The BHF CRC was launched in June 2019, funded by an award of over £870,000 by the BHF over three years. The collaborative aims to support the prioritisation, planning and delivery of clinical research in heart and circulatory diseases in the UK, by providing the infrastructure to enhance research planning and co-ordination across all of the specialist societies of the BCS.
Specifically, the BHF CRC will help the societies:
- Identify and prioritise clinical research questions
- Develop robust and integrated study proposals
- Engage and mobilise clinicians in conducting clinical research to complete studies effectively
- Enhance UK cardiovascular clinical research capacity and capability.
To work as part of the BHF CRC, all societies were asked to set up a clinical study group (CSG) for research.
The BACPR established an initial research CSG in October 2019. The Terms of Reference (ToR) for the CSG were written in early 2020 and can be accessed here.
Initial CSG members:
- Dr Aynsley Cowie - BACPR Co-opted Council Member & BACPR Past Scientific Officer; Consultant Physiotherapist NHS Ayrshire & Arran (CSG Lead)
- Prof Susan Dawkes - BACPR President; Professor in Cardiovascular Health, Edinburgh Napier University; Honorary Research Consultant, NHS Lothian
- Dr Kathryn Carver - BACPR President Elect; Heart Failure Lead Nurse; Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation
- Dr Tom Butler – BACPR Scientific Officer; Senior lecturer in Nutrition and Health at Edge Hill University
- Dr Simon Nichols - BACPR Council Member (Past Scientific Officer; Senior Research Fellow – Exercise Physiology, Sheffield Hallam University
- Sally Hinton - BACPR Executive Director; Physiotherapist
- Dr Hasnain Dalal - BACPR Co-opted Council Member (Primary Care); Honorary Clinical Professor, University of Exeter
- Prof Rod Taylor – Chair of Population Research, University of Glasgow; Co-Director of Exeter Clinical Trials Unit, University of Exeter
- Sheona McHale – Past BACPR Council Member; PhD Student, Edinburgh Napier University; Fitness Instructor
- Sarah Brown – Lay / patient representative BACPR
- Prof Patrick Doherty – BACPR Past President; Chair in Cardiovascular Health, University of York; Director of the BHF National Audit of Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Dr Jennifer Jones - BACPR Past President; Physiotherapy Lecturer - Brunel University London
Research Priority Setting Workshop
At the end of 2019, the CSG drafted a protocol detailing a project to identify research priorities within the field of cardiovascular prevention and rehabilitation. Project initiation has been delayed due to the covid-19 pandemic, however CRC funding is now in place and the project due will be underway very soon. To view the project protocol please click here.
The project will seek to involve all members and partners of BACPR in helping to shape the list of research priorities. After an initial literature review has been done to identify gaps in the evidence base, surveys will be sent out asking for your opinions on how much of a priority each of these gaps are. All of this information will be used to guide a stakeholder workshop, and a final ‘top 10’ research priority list agreed.
Cochrane Review - Interventions for Alcohol Abstinence in Atrial Fibrillation
In autumn 2020, we advertised for members to author a Cochrane review examining alcohol cessation. I am pleased to report that we have a team of six individuals keen to undertake this important piece of work, led by Dr Tom Butler (BACPR Scientific Officer), and supported by experienced Cochrane researchers. We will share our findings in due course.
For more information on the BHF CRC please click here.